Lime Grove Studios


Welcome to our section about Lime Grove

The studios at Lime Grove were originally film studios built for the Gaumont Film company in 1915. The BBC aquired the studios in the 1950s as a temporary measure to add capacity while Television Centre was completed. Although Television Centre opened in 1960 the studios at Lime Grove would still stay in operation as the needs f the corporation were such that they needed the studio space. Lime Grove would finally shut in 1991 and was demolished two years later

A more detailed history will come soon

 


GAUMONT FILM STUDIOS  - 1940s

A shot of the studio from the 1940s, the building would largely look the same throughout the rest of its life albeit a bit more tired.

 

.
   
  Gaumont Film Studios
1940s
BBC Television

 

LIME GROVE STUDIOS  - 1960s

The Lime Grove Studios in the 1960s.

 

.
 
   
  Lime Grove Studios
1960s
BBC Television

STUDIO D LIME GROVE  - 1963

Perhaps the most famous show to be born at Lime Grove was Doctor Who. The first episode, An Unearthlly Child, was shot in Studio D, a studio with archaeic equipment and a funny shape.

 

.
   
  Studio D - Lime Grove
1963
BBC Television

 



SHARE THIS PAGE



SEARCH THE BRITSET ARCHIVE WEBSITE 

Powered by Google

+